Monday, November 29, 2010

Book Review: A Rush of Wings

A Rush of Wings

by Kristen Heitzmann

Copyright 2003 (repackaged 2010)

Bethany House Publishers

384 pages

ISBN:978-0-7642-0845-4

Fiction

From the Publisher:

Though her panic is real, Noelle St. Claire is uncertain what danger she is fleeing. Fragmented images and slivers of memory have driven her to abandon her wealthy, sheltered life in New York for the hope of a haven—remote and safe.

Noelle's arrival at the Rocky Mountain horse ranch owned by Rick Spencer and his brother Morgan causes more than a little stir. Beautiful, vulnerable, yet strangely secretive, Noelle is an enigma the two contrasting brothers seek to unlock. But as their attentions breach the wall she hides behind, the past becomes a menacing threat from which Noelle can no longer hide.

My Review:

This is the first book I’ve read by Kristen Heitzmann and I’m glad to say that I won’t be my last!  Suspense is one of my favorite genres and when you add a bit of romance into the mix, I’m hooked.  This book has a fast paced and intense plot which is what kept drawing me to this book chapter after chapter.

Heitzmann did an excellent job of building suspense by only revealing bits of Noelle’s traumatic childhood past at a time.  As I read the book, I had my ideas about what happened to Noelle, but things made a surprised turn as the end approached.  The issues in this book such as kidnapping, rape and a violent ex-fiancĂ© where rather intense, but I felt like they were presented tastefully and were a valid part of the plot.  While the amount of suspense kept the story moving, the romance was just enough to balance out.  I found the love triangle between Rick, Morgan and Noelle to be entertaining, especially since the brothers are complete opposites.  Though I was rooting for Rick from the beginning, it was nice to see Morgan grown up a bit near the end and do what was right.  Lastly, there was the element of God within the story.  Throughout the majority of the book, Noelle is struggling with believing in God and is surprised by how Rick places all his trust in God.  Towards the end of the story, Noelle realizes what is preventing her from having a relationship with God and finally is able to overcome her traumatic past, while looking forward to a future with Rick.

I’m glad that I got to read this book and I plan on reading the sequel, The Still of the Night.  Thank you to Bethany House Publishing for sending me this free book to review!  Sara’s rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hello Babygirl,
WOW, another great review. Boy am I proud of you. Love you, Mom