Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Love Pumpkin!

 Ever since the first day of Fall last week, a lot of the foodie blogs that I read have been posting pumpkin recipes.  I LOVE pumpkin!  So, I was inspired to jump on the pumpkin bandwagon and bake something scrumptious. 

This afternoon I baked this incredible Pumpkin-Gingerbread Loaf.  I've always loved regular pumpkin bread (thanks to my mom at Christmas time) and this bread adds the ginger element, which just makes it outstanding.  It's moist and comforting with the pumpkin flavor and then it's got a slight ginger kick.  YUM!  I could easily eat half a loaf or 3-4 muffins...it is THAT good.

IMG_0919[2]

I found the recipe a few years ago on Recipezaar.  Since I'm always trying to make recipes a bit healthier, I cut back on the sugar by 1/2 a cup, used whole wheat flour and subbed half egg whites for the eggs.  It's not much of a "healthy" modification, but I figured even a little bit could make it more figure friendly.  The recipe makes 2 big loafs (9-inch pans).  I like to make 1 loaf and 12 muffins, so that I can have somewhat of portion control. :)  It also freezes really well.  If you decide to do muffins, they'll take about 22 minutes to bake.  Seriously, you have to make this bread...it is AMAZING and a wonderful Fall treat!

   IMG_0916

Ingredients.

IMG_0917

12 muffins - 1 due to Quality Assurance. :)

Pumpkin Gingerbread Loaf

by Recipezaar

  • 1 cup margarine
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 teaspoons ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon clove
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
Directions
  1. Cream together margarine, sugar, and eggs.

  2. Combine all dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with water and pumpkin.

  3. Beat well.

  4. Pour into 3 well greased loaf pans.

  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minute or until toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom does pumpkin bread too around the holidays and I LOVE PUMPKIN TOO! Pumpkin anything! I am going to try this recipe. It sounds fabulous with the ginger!

Jill said...

Seriously, Sara - I think I'm going to have to blame you for all of the recipes I have a feeling I'll be collecting if I follow your blog!

Unknown said...

I love what you've done with the place!